11 September, 2010

CELEBRATING HARI RAYA 2010, 2000, 1990, 1980, 1970,1960....

1960: I can hardly remember anything..I was about two years old then..but I believe my mother must have dressed me with the best piece of cloth available at that time...just a piece of cloth I believe...

1970: I was in Std 6 primary school. It was a tough time as my dad was just paralysed and bedridden. My mum had to fork out for everything. I cant really  remember what I had for raya then...but I do remember my mum sew a yellow dress with white borders around the neck. The material was so thin. I guess that was what my mum could afford to buy. I was ashamed to wear it. It was rather transparent. When I was in Form 1 (1972) I used my savings to buy  a purple long sleeve t-shirt. My mum could not afford to prepare one for me...

1980: The first time I celebrated as a wife! My father-in-law gave me some budget for my clothes but there was no tailor available at the last minute. So I bought a simple black shirt and a green towel- material- jacket...very practical  to use for traveling every week to KL as I was offered to continue my degree course.

1990: I celebrated with my children..three of them..and one on the way..They were cheerful kids, very noisy, active and the whole journey to my hometown was always non-tiring. They were lucky.. they have enough to spend and wear..

2010: A week before, I had a pre-Hari Raya session with my teachers and students..the 3-in-1 session was very hectic but meaningful. I was the proudest and happiest madam principal.


Yesterday, I celebrated with my 4-year old grandson..a very active, talkative and witty boy. he made us fully occupied..

Will I have the opportunity to celebrate this day again next 10 years?

I wish I could..with my extended families, ex-teachers and ex-students!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails